Thirty three years ago, in 1975, a group of travel and tour agents initiated an association to represent their interests. That association, aptly named Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents or MATTA for short, started with 30 members.
The founder of MATTA was the late Mr Loh Yit Lock who was also the 1st President.
Today, MATTA boasts a membership of over 2, 800 members, comprising local tour and travel organizations as well as numerous overseas affiliations. It is also the national umbrella representative body for the entire travel industry in the country. With a full time secretariat in Kuala Lumpur, its headquarters, MATTA has state chapters in Kedah, Penang, Perak, Melaka, Negeri Sembilan, Pahang, Terengganu, Kelantan, Selangor, Johor, Sabah and Sarawak.
MATTA’s objective is to promote the interests of the travel and tour industry in Malaysia. MATTA works closely with the Ministry of Tourism (Motour) as well as Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board (MTPB), help organise fairs, seminars, convention and workshops both to create public awareness of the tourism industry as well as to benefit its members.
MATTA School of Tourism established 1996 offers courses based on the National Occupational Skill Standards besides industry related programmes which are recognized by the government of Malaysia and International bodies such as the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the Universal Federation of Agents Association (UFTAA).
- To unite, supervise and coordinate the activities of the members.
- To publicise, encourage, promote and extend the tourist and travel trade.
- To adjudicate and settle any differences which may arise between members whenever its arbitration is requested by both parties concerned.
- To develop friendship and common purpose among the members of the tourist and travel industry.
- To make representations on behalf of members to Government and all organisations with which the Association has common interest.
- To encourage the highest ethical standards of business conduct within the trade.
- To study and promote the interest of the tourist and travel trade and profession and to educate the public regarding the function of tours and travel agents.